External Evaluation Expert for programme on Syria
Free Press Unlimited
||Free Press Unlimited
||06 dec 2017
||18 dec 2017
Across the globe, journalists and media pioneers have taken it on themselves to supply their communities with objective information. Free Press Unlimited actively supports these professionals in over forty countries, by offering them, among other things, trainings and temporary financial and material aid, and by strengthening their professional capacity. So that as many people as possible gain and keep access to truly vital information. For many people around the world, access to reliable information is by no means a given. Nevertheless, impartial information is of crucial importance to all of us if we wish to survive and develop as human beings.
You will be working towards an evaluation report (by the end of February 2018) that includes recommendations to Free Press Unlimited on possible lessons learned and good practices from the first 1.5 years of implementation. This effort is aimed to measure results as well as offering ground for continuous improvement of our beneficiaries and our work in fragile states. We are looking for a pro-active, professional and enthusiastic person who is familiar with the Syrian media sector.
Main job responsibilities
Produce analysis and an evaluation report, which entails, but is not limited to, the following points:
- An assessment of well informed opinions of all the relevant stakeholders (e.g. programme staff, implementing partner, and direct beneficiaries);
- An assessment of the quality and impact of the institutional capacity building of the beneficiaries by Free Press Unlimited and implementing partner;
- An assessment of the quality and impact of the journalism/media capacity building (content production or service delivery) by the beneficiaries;
- Media content monitoring reports that assess the quality of content production are available for your review;
- An assessment of the relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, sustainability, impact and methodology of the activities of Free Press Unlimited;
- An evaluation report that gives a clear sense of any achievements, shortcomings and particularly the impact of the programme on the beneficiaries, with clear recommendations on how to improve the programme; and feeds into the upcoming mid-term and final evaluation in the years to come. This effort is aimed to measure results according to the indicators in the results framework as well as unintended results. We expect the evaluator to use methods that ensure data validity, e.g. through triangulation.
- Work collaboratively and communicate adequately with the Free Press Unlimited team.
- Propose research and assessment plan ideas directly to the Programme Coordinator.
- Design, manage and draft the evaluation report.
- Report on research progress directly to the Programme Coordinator.
- Identify and/or develop guidance and tools for designing, monitoring and evaluating for mid-term and/or final evaluation of this programme.
Functie-eisen en profiel
Qualifications (please specify in your motivation letter which evaluation methodologies you have experience with):
- Experience in M&E consultancy, preferably in international NGO environment.
- Experience with analysis of quantitative and qualitative data;
- Track record in producing assessment and evaluation reports;
- Fluent in written and spoken English, and Arabic preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Flexible, creative, reliable and independent worker and a collaborative team player;
- Excellent work ethics;
- Ability to travel to project locations in Turkey and the European Union;
- Ability to work on an independent (short term) consultancy contract.
- We offer an output-based freelance contract, in a dynamic international environment with a competitive compensation package.
- Free Press Unlimited uses fair selection criteria based on equal opportunities.
Informeren en solliciteren
If you are interested in this position, please send your motivation letter and CV (preferably in PDF format) before 18 December 2017 to email@example.com.
Expected start date in January 2018. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended. For more information check our website www.freepressunlimited.org.